Retirement


Doorbell.


– Hello.


– Oh of course! At the old Welbury's house by the corner.


– Great people indeed. I hope they love Florida. Well, welcome to the neighborhood.


– You're welcome. I trust you've enjoyed the neighborhood so far.


– You don't say. Vandalism? That really doesn't happen often here.


– Oh, so an "egging." Yeah, I did that once or twice when I was a teenager.


– No, yes I agree – it's not funny. I regret it entirely. Did you happen to catch who did it?


– Ah, the Timmins boy. Roger's his name. Well, he used to be friends with my boy, Eric. I know he's a good kid. He just does stupid things like this from time to time. Some boys have to go through that phase, don't they?


– Um, well actually, I doubt that the next phase is terrorism. Don't you think that's a little–


– Yes, Eric was friends with Roger. They don't really see much of each other any more. Why do you–


– No, I really don't consider my son a "known unknown." I actually have no idea what you even mean by that.


– Search my house? For what?


– What difference does it make if we have eggs?


– A "breakfast of mass destruction"?


– I'm not aiding and abetting anybody, friend. I just don't want you rummaging through my kitchen for eggs.


– I seriously doubt you have a warrant.


– OK then, let me see it.


– That's handwritten. In crayon. And it's signed, "A judge."


– Hey! Get your hands off of me!


– (
Grunting.) Are you...are you trying to spit in my mouth?

– (
Panting.) Just…just get up and get off of my property.

– What? No, you can't have any Crisco. Is that what this was all about?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you brought a giggle to my overcast day. it was the spit in the mouth part.

By Name